Friday 18 June 2010

Summer flowers and new quilt project

This is the time of the year when our garden is most beautiful. The irises are in bloom,and they seem to like their new life in the narrow flowerbed.   




The yellow irises grow wild at my mother's place by the shoreline. Some 20 years ago I brought one tiny bit of root here, and it has grown very well.



This week I have been catching up the Between Charming Friends quilt along I joined two weeks late. They use two charm packs, but as such things are hardly known in my part of the world, and mainly because I already have some fabric in stash, I decided to use and reuse some fabrics.


Yesterday everything was cut to pieces, and this morning I started piecing the 12 blocks with a four-patch center.



The strips are sewn together for the next blocks. They need to be cut into strips to make 20 16-patch blocks. It will be my first time to make them. The squares are only 1" finished, making 4 ½" unfinished blocks.

I hope that by the time I'll be hand sewing the binding, the weather will be so warm that I can sit under this apple tree and enjoy the shadow of the leaves, the warmth of the sun and the singing of our blackbird and mavis.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the fabric your using - and your blocks are SO pretty! Way to sew - nice job! Can't wait to see your 16 patches, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same hope of summer warmth as you!! Cold here too!

    Your quilt is going to be lovely!! I need to work on mine sometime today- you are way ahead of me!! Take care!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty your flowers are, Ulla! I can just see you stitching under the tree - I'm keeping my fingers crossed you can do that!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your quilt is going to be pretty. I love the fabrics & colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers and a beautiful quilt project Ulla. Sounds like a very nice time it would be to put binding on a quilt under a tree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the flowers. My Iris have been gone for weeks now and I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NIce job! Keep up that work. Isn't it funny, my irises are blooming here in Montana, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty fabrics. What a wonderful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ulla.. Lovely flowers and yes is this not the best time of the year.
    You have started a wonderful new project, I will look forward to see your progress.
    Today I have followed the swedes Crownprinsess s wedding, what a wonderful seeing.
    Take care and have fun..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fabrics! I am still sewing on my 16 patches...will we be ready for Wednesday? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your garden really is very beautiful and I hope you get your wish to sit under your tree very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blocks Ulla. Well done with the stash busting. I love irises too- such pretty shades of purple in some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabric...looks almost Christmassy! What a great tree to sit under, hope you get some warm weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt will be beautiful! Love the photos of your iris plants. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hej Ulla och tack för dina härlig kommentarer på bloggen min. Javisst var hon vcker vår kronprinsessa, och lika vackra tyger hade du valt till din quilt. Jag satt också bänkad framför tvn hela tiden och det blev en hel del gjort.
    Ha en skön sommar och njut av din tid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi