Tuesday 21 July 2015

Tour de Baby Hat, second day of rest

The cyclists are reaching the Alps and enjoying their well earned rest today. Many have been hurt in crashes during the first stages, many continue the race with bleeding limbs patched on the road and later properly. Last night I experienced some dangerous moments with hard cheese and a cheese slicer:


My grip slipped, and I sliced away the scar on my thumb from a previous cheese slicer accident some years ago. There was a lot of bleeding, but luckily I just missed a proper vein. This picture is from this morning, with a new dressing on the wound. I'm just showing you how far I was with the next baby hat before I had to stop for the night.

Here are the week's hats, the last bits of the light green and the white I used during the Giro, and a collection of the tiniest rests in the green, blue and multi colour hat. On the right is the first hat with the Sirdar Kisses baby acrylic, the second one is on the needles. I found a bag with six balls of this yarn, in green and blue shades. This will look a bit boring but keep me busy for the rest of the Tour and beginning of the Vuelta d'Espagne.


In celebration of the 50th year since I hurt my knee I'm on the waiting list for a knee replacement. My old stick from the school days didn't look too great, so I decided to do some yarn bombing. I didn't want to look like an old granny with a walking stick, so I crocheted some bright granny squares to cheer up my stick and maybe to get a smile or two when I limp around.


Close-up of my grannies:


I was wondering if the doctors would give me a smart looking knee after all the years I have been walking around with chubby knees and a huge scar in one, but I can forget about mini skirts for the rest of my life: they will only replace the damaged surfaces of my old bones and add another scar to the knee. Now it is just waiting for Winter and my turn on their long list.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Ulla at last I have caught up with your Summer. For a lady with a wonderful walking stick I think you have been scampering along in your craft room! Lol lovely hat progress too. Your peonies are looking beautiful this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours of your baby hats. They are so soft looking. Your granny square cover for your cane made me smile. I hope you're not in pain while you wait for your surgery. We have the PanAm games to keep us busy watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I love the minty shade of soft green. So sweet. Well as the saying goes...better late than never. But 50 years is quite a long time to wait! Love the "granny cane." :o) I am sorry you can not longer wear mini skirts. Giggle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi