Sunday 13 April 2008

Botanical observations


Yesterday when I brought my father-in-law his lunch, I saw this sign of spring. The hepatica, or liverwort, is not common in this area, but belonged to my childhood and youth 140 km north from here. In this same picture (upper left corner) is a wood anemone in bud, and that again is something I wasn't used to see at home. In this Southern part of Finland the white flowers cover the earth usually at the time of Mother's Day, the second Sunday of May.

These are some tulips I made a couple of years ago when I was learning the paper-piecing technique. It was fun to be able to make such narrow lines and accurate corners, but it also took some picking up of seams when my pieces kept ending up the wrong way.



The third "botanical object", Grandmother's garden, is progressing steadily. The borders are a lot easier to quilt than I thought, but there will not be too much time to spare if and when I intend to give it to the exhibition on Friday evening. I want to thank everyone for the compliments I and the quilt have received. The quilt is not so much a proof of skills or talent. It shows hardneckedness and stamina, and it shows that I'm not a very young person because I started sewing it in 1993 with and for my daughter, who was nine years old that summer. It is absolutely the oldest work in progress I have started and about to finish. However, I have finished older and much older projects inherited from my mother and my grandmother. I will tell about them another time. Now I'll go and quilt some more!

2 comments:

  1. i love the tulips, i needed some inspiration for flower piecing, this is great. thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty fabric flowers, AND real flower. Spring is a wonderful time of year.
    So exciting to hear you have projects from your Mom and Grandma. I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi