Monday 30 June 2008

Medieval tourism

This weekend we visited Turku, where our daughter Kaija lives. She took us to see the Medieval Fair ot the old market place near the cathedral.




There were stalls where you could buy handicrafts or something to eat.


And there was an area with work performances. This one was showing how yarns were dyed with natural ingredients like birch leaves, juniper, fungi etc.


I think the rare blue colour is achieved by woad. My sister Maija has given me some seeds but I have not sown them yet. I think I need to go to a course first to learn how to dye and how to handle the plants for it.
We had a lovely weekend and now I have to adjust me to normal life again. Tomorrow I can finally go to a favourite fabric shop and by the backing and batting for my stash quilt.


6 comments:

  1. I really like the look of that fair — in particular all the old plant dyes.
    Love your daughter's work on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting. I tried plant dying many years ago... it was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all looks so wonderful. I love that big basket full of beautiful yarns. And the grl fixing the candied apples.. yummm. What a fun trip. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks like a great fun day out....and interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy visiting these markets, they have quite nice things! The outfits, the bread they sell, the games, it is always interesting.
    Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More pictures from the fair can be seen in Kaija's blog paperiaarre. The link is on the right in my sidebar under Arts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi