Sunday 23 March 2014

Happy Scrappy Spring finished

Last Spring I started the Happy Scrappy Spring quilt Kaaren of The Painted Quilt designed and offered as a free BOM. Actually it was the whole Row of the Month, with pieced blocks and some stitcheries. I made the stitcheries in red, and used, as usual, mostly recycled fabrics for the blocks.



For the wool appliqué I had to buy some wonderful wool felt, and that kept me from finishing this quilt right the way.



I really enjoyed the new(ish) for me experience of wool appliqué. It feels great when you notice you can easily make it look good!


 
The third row was the most work, five stitcheries including this big one for the centre.


 
Spring is also Easter, so the quilt has lots of bunnies, eggs and egg baskets.
 
 
Wool felt appliqué flowers, carrots and birds.
 
 

The little bunny with a kite is one of my favourites.


So is this little chick in her wellies and umbrella. Notice the tiny Easter eggs on the left.



I left out a dozen or so leaping bunnies on the checkerboard rows between the stitched blocks. In February I finally sandwiched the quilt, in March I machine quilted it and just this last week hand sewed the binding and a hanging sleeve.

 
Here the finished quilt is hanging in Villa Cooper, waiting for buyers. With Kaaren's  kind consent, my Happy Scrappy Spring quilt will be (hopefully) sold to raise money for the New Children's Hospital 2017 project.
 
 
It says so on the label here too:
 
 
In the Summer the Villa Cooper people will have an exhibition with the theme "Birds", also for the New Children's Hospital 2017 project. Our members are invited to make their own projects under the theme, using their favourite technique, and to donate the products to be sold at Villa Cooper. 100 % of the money raised will go to the hospital project.
 

11 comments:

  1. Such a cozy quilt with the variety of textures. I love the addition of the wool. You are so generous to donate this to raise money for a worthy cause. I think it should do very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ulla you do so much special work for people and it is so good to know a wonderful person like you. Have a beautiful day. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a WIP for me. It is very inspiring to see your all done! I will head into my sewing room and trace a few more blocks thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ulla, it it more wonderful than I ever could have imagined. Thanks you for giving "life" to my Happy Scrappy Spring design!

    You are very generous to have donated your time and talent to this worthy cause. You have definitely made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaunis peitto ja paljon on hienoja yksityiskohtia. Hyvään tarkoitukseen menee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt turned out just gorgeous, Ulla! I love all your little touches with recycled fabrics. I'm sure the proceeds will be put to good use and someone will have an heirloom made by you!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift you have given for the hospital. When you consider how much time and materials... it is a considerable donation in time and money.
    We will just have to take your word for it, Ulla, that the label says what is says. I learned some French in High School, but have forgotten most of that, but that is the only other language other than American English... which is quite different from the proper English. My brother in law was here a few weeks ago, and the difference in words and pronunciation...wow!
    Thanks for sharing your quilt with us.
    Hugs

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a wonderful quilt finish Ulla !
    Your quilt are so sweet and you small stitchery are so cute :-)
    Good luck with raising money ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ulla,

    what a wonderful quilt, I know the design. You finished project is tempting me to start now.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ulla the quilt has come out beautifully. I'm sure your generosity will benefit your community. You are such a kind soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really did become a very happy spring quilt! I hope it finds a buyer soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! Kiitos käynnistä, voit kommentoida myös suomeksi